Thursday, December 18, 2008

It's Beginning to TASTE a Lot Like Chistmas!

Growing up, it was always a tradition to make Christmas candy. My Mom and my Grandma have both passed away now, so I figured it was up to me to carry on the tradition, even though I am "a million" miles away from my family. I have made the traditional candies before, with Mom and Grandma, and by myself too. I consider it a talent, it runs in the blood- okay so not really, but I do have to say that we NEVER used a candy thermometer, and I continue that tradition too.

So, here are the goods...and the pictures don't do the taste ANY justice!

Peanut Brittle is Grandpa West's favorite
(this one could have used a minute more cooking time- but still delicious)
Caramels....mmmmmm....mmmmmm...mmmmm!
Hunter thought he had died and gone to heaven.

Caramels, before being cut.
Half without nuts and half with.
Good either way!

My personal favorite
English Butter Toffee

I hope your kitchen smells as good as mine this holiday season!
Off to make some gingerbread cookies!

3 comments:

Britanie said...

Those caramels look amazing, I have tried unsuccessfully since I've been married to make them. If you would share your recipe I would be forever grateful jakeandbritanie@msn.com
Merry Christmas!

Momma McGee said...

Caramel Recipe:
Caramels

2 C Sugar
1 1/2 C White Karo Syrup
2 C Cream
1/2 Lb Butter
Salt
Nuts

In a pot add sugar, Karo syrup, butter, 1 C cream, and salt. Bring to a boil and add the other 1 C of cream slowly as to not stop the boiling. Cook until it forms a firm ball in cold water. Remove from heat and stir constantly about 30 minutes. Add nuts and pour in pans. Set in refrigerator for 2 hours and then set out until you can cut and wrap.

Let me know if you have any questions

Britanie said...

Thanks Tammy, today is our cookie/candy making day so I'll let you know how I do!